This bill, companion bill HB 1082, establishes a moratorium on the construction of any new correctional facilities in the State from 7/1/2021 to 6/30/2022, including the planned construction of a new facility to replace the existing OCCC.
Establishing relationships with your elected officials is a vital part of creating long lasting change. In order to do so, it’s important to do some initial research.
The Hawai'i legislature’s website is a valuable resource for information on your legislators and the legislative process. It’s where you go to:
- Find Your Legislators: https://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/fyl/
- Research your representative and senator
- Find contact information for your legislators
- Find out which bills have been introduced and where they are in the process
- Find out which legislators sit on which committees in the House and Senate
- View the 2021 Hawai'i Legislative Session Calendar to find out where we are in the legislative process and important dates
- Accessing Committee Meetings and Floor Hearings: The Hawaii State Legislature will be virtual in 2021 and is establishing the process for public access to committee and floor hearings. Sign up to receive email updates from ACLU Hawaii for the latest news regarding the recordings and testimony process.
- Learn how to submit remote testimony via zoom (video conferencing)
- Follow @acluhawaii on Twitter for breaking news and coverage
- Check out our 2020 Candidate Questionnaires to find out where your legislators stand on issues
- Get involved! Sign up to become a volunteer and receive ACLU Hawai'i emails for breaking news and legislative action alerts
- Follow #HILeg #HInews and #kanakatwitter for breaking news and coverage